Harward House, 215 E. Chatham, Apex. Designated on 11/20/2012.
Seagroves Farm, 1617 Ten Ten Road, Apex. Designated 12/20/2011 The Seagroves Farm is a substantially intact turn-of-the-century tobacco farm complex in western Wake County. The house and three of the seven outbuildings were moved after the widening of Ten Ten Road to maintain their historic relationship to the road. The house retains its original form, plan, decorative details and building materials. Outbuildings retain much of their original material. The Seagroves Farm continues to convey information about the architecture and farming practices of a twentieth century tobacco farm.
Zeb and Lorena Atkinson House, 6325 Whitted Road, Fuquay Varina. Designated 12/05/2011 The Zeb and Lorena Atkinson House is a two-story transitional Queen Anne-Colonial Revival dwelling distinguished by a five-sided corner tower with conical roof, hipped dormers with latticed Palladian windows, and trabeated entrances with latticed sidelights and transom. The weatherboarded house has a high hipped roof and stands on a continuous brick foundation. Hipped dormers in the dwelling’s front and north roof slopes visually balance the tower, which rises at the south end of the facade. The house features large two-over-two windows at the first and second stories and smaller, arched lattice windows in the tower at the attic. The trabeated entry centered at the facade comprises a partially glazed, single-leaf, paneled wood door with latticed sidelights and transom. Directly above, at the second story, is a similar partially glazed single-leaf door flanked by lattice sidelights and lacking a transom. Two interior corbelled brick chimneys rise through the steeply pitched hipped roof, which is clad in asphalt shingle over the original wood shingles. The boxed eaves of the roof, tower, and dormers all have a slight kick. A finial tops the tower’s conical roof.
Williamson Page House, 116 South Page Street, Morrisville. Designated 10-25-2011 The current appearance of the Williamson-Page House is that of a two-story I-house with a two-story rear wing. Its symmetrical, three-bay façade is spanned by a hipped-roof porch. The roof is covered with sheet metal and has been in place since at least the 1940s. Three brick chimneys serve the dwelling: two exterior ones at each end of the I-house section and a central interior one serving the ell. The brick end chimneys have shallow double shoulders, the lower one of paved bricks and the upper set of stepped bricks. The chimney stacks abut the side walls of the house, piercing the roof overhang of the gable ends. This placement of the stacks against, rather than separated from, the dwelling suggests the upper portion of the chimneys dates from the ca. 1876 remodeling. Joints are struck with light-colored sandy mortar.
Hales-Tunnell-Bunn House, 102 South Main Street, Wendell. Designated 10/10/2011 The Hales-Tunnell-Bunn House is locally significant as an intact and imposing example of the Queen Anne style popular in Wendell’s early twentieth-century boom period. Though the house lacks the turned and sawn ornament seen on more elaborate Queen Anne dwellings, the double-tier wraparound porch, hipped and gabled roofline, gabled roof dormer, and single-story gabled ell express the style clearly
Harward-Bagley House, 209 E Chatham Street, Apex. Designated 12/07/2010 The Harward-Bagley House was built ca. 1901 by W.H. Harward for his daughter. It is located at 209 E. Chatham Street in Apex, North Carolina. It was recently restored by Doug and Pam Boyette. The dwelling can be best understood and appreciated within the broader context of Apex’s development as one of Wake County’s best preserved turn-of-the-century railroad towns. The house represents a shift from the ubiquitous vernacular single-pile I-houses built during the late-nineteenth century to more stylish and complex dwellings influenced by national trends in architectural tastes and displaying influences of the Queen Anne and Colonial Revival styles. The shift in the built environment was precipitated by Apex’s commercial and economic growth and development as a railroad town and trading center during the last quarter of the nineteenth century. The house is one of a several double-pile Queen Anne-influenced residences in Apex including the Dr. R. W. Johnson House-Teacherage at 205 S. Hughes Street and the S.S. Rogers House at 207 S. Mason Street. Of these, the Harward-Bagley House is the best preserved.
Pine Hall, 5300 Castlebrook Drive, Raleigh. Designated 09/14/2010 Pine Hall, also referred to as the Dunn property, was originally part of an antebellum family farm, built for Jeremiah Dunn, who by 1840 had accumulated approximately 264 acres in St. Matthews Township. After his sons, Nathaniel and Peterson, inherited the plantation, the tract grew to include approximately 1000 acres, extending along the western bank of the Neuse River. Currently reduced to 5.5 acres, Pine Hall is located about five miles northeast of downtown Raleigh.
The central block of the house was most likely constructed in ca. 1841 by Jeremiah Dunn, who first acquired land in the vicinity as early as 1807 when he purchased 204 acres near the head of Beaver Dam Creek, a feeder into the Neuse River, just east of the house (Deed Book U, p. 28). In 1841, Jeremiah Dunn borrowed $1,000 from his sons, Nathaniel and Peterson, and mortgaged a 225-acre tract including the “tract of land where Jeremiah Dunn now lives” (Deed Book 14, p. 348). The debt was satisfied on November 19, 1846 (Book 17, p. 194). It seems reasonable to conclude that Jeremiah borrowed the money from his sons to build the grand Greek Revival-style house on his plantation.
Fuquay-Varina Woman's Club Clubhouse, 602 N. Ennis Street, Fuquay-Varina, Designated 08/02/2010 The Fuquay-Varina Woman’s Club is the oldest civic organization in Fuquay-Varina, and has played a significant role in the development of civic and cultural life of Fuquay-Varina since its founding in 1926 as the Varina Woman’s Club. According to oral tradition, the group first met at the home of Mrs. Bessie Hopson before renting a room in the Judd Building at the intersection of Ransdell Road and Broad Street. On November 23, 1936, a residential lot was deeded by Dr. J. M. Judd and wife Amorette (a charter member) specifically “for the purpose of constructing thereon the Varina Woman’s Club building”. This deed conveyed ownership to President Annie S. Tilley and her successors in office in exchange for a consideration of $1.00.
Constructed in 1937, the Fuquay-Varina Woman’s Club Clubhouse sits at the northeast corner of the intersection of North Ennis and Faucette Streets in Fuquay-Varina, Wake County, North Carolina. The Woman’s Club Clubhouse is a one-story, side gable, frame building sheathed in plain weatherboards painted white.
Adams-Edwards House, 5321 Tryon Road, Raleigh vicinity. Designated 4/19/2010, Wake County Historic Landmark The triple-A form house on Tryon Road may be modest in appearance, but it is a unique and highly significant piece of the county’s architectural history. The Adams-Edwards House is one of only a handful of mid-nineteenth century yeoman farmer’s houses in Wake County, and the only one known to have a three-room plan. The original 3-room section of the house was built prior to 1850 by Quinton Adams; it contains a large main living area, or “hall”, and two unheated side rooms. For the last quarter of the nineteenth century and well into the twentieth century, the William and Frances Edwards family, also farmers owned the farm and lived in the house. Additions and alterations to the Adams-Edwards House during the period up to ca. 1900 included two successive single-room additions to the west end of the house in the mid- and late- nineteenth century, front and rear porches and some cosmetic remodeling ca. 1880, and an early twentieth-century rear ell at the north end of the house. This work transformed the house into a triple-A cottage with a rear ell.
Carpenter Farm Supply Company Complex, 1933 Morrisville-Carpenter Road, Cary, Designated: 3/23/2010, Carpenter National Register Historic District Built in 1885 by William Henry Carpenter, the Carpenter Farm Supply Company Complex provides a glimpse into the agricultural communities and economy that existed in rural Wake County in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The 1916 brick store building is architecturally notable as the only rural brick store building in Wake County. That type was common in towns, but unknown at rural crossroads like Carpenter.
White-Duncan House, 316 N. Salem St., Apex, Designated: 12/15/2009, Apex National Register Historic District The White-Duncan is the only house on North Salem Street in Apex’s Historic District that faces south toward the downtown commercial district. Family tradition holds that the house’s first owner, Mrs. Martha Ann (Annie) White, felt this location would be more conducive to her watching the daily activities in the nearby downtown commercial district from her spacious front porch.22 Built primarily utilizing Classical Revival motifs, the house has a projecting gabled façade bay that harks back to the more complicated massing of the Queen Anne style of architecture nationally popular in the closing years of the nineteenth century. It is one of four intact buildings in Apex’s National Register Historic District that showcases the Classical Revival, and while others share the massing and minor architectural details of style, the White-Duncan house is the most fully expressed with its modillioned eaves and a full-width porch with Ionic columns and turned balusters. Additionally, it reflects Apex residents’ abandonment of the vernacular I-house form for more popular styles and forms such as the one and two-story double pile houses with projecting front wings and bay windows. Julius A. Duncan built the house for his mother-in-law, Mrs. Martha Ann White, in 1900 from a design of a two story double pile house she coveted in nearby Durham.
Bailey-Estes-Dillard House, 9020 Mangum Dairy Road, Wake Forest Vicinity, Designated: 12/07/2009 The house retains its original rural setting and outbuildings from the period of significance of ca. 1864, the house construction date, to 1960, when the house was still in use as a farm under the ownership of Ovid E. Dillard. Overall, the house retains a high degree of architectural integrity on both the exterior and interior, including several Greek Revival-influenced details in the flush eaves, boxed cornice, six-over-six windows, vertical two-panel interior doors, and the simple post and lintel mantels. The house is currently owned by a family descendant.
Montague-Jones Farm, 5104 Riley Hill Road, Wendell vicinity, Designated: 12/01/2008, Individually Listed, National Register Thought to have been built c. 1833 by Dr. Henry W. Montague, this hip-roofed Greek Revival style I-house commands a rural setting marked by a substantial yard with an early boxwood hedge, mature hardwood, coniferous trees, and a collection of early 20th century outbuildings. The house was the center of a 600-acre plantation known as "Harmony," where Dr. Montague and his bride established residence soon after their marriage in the early 1830s. Although somewhat altered in the early 20th century with a new porch, the exterior of the house retains a good deal of its original Greek Revival fabric, characterized by such features as a boxed cornice, 9/9 and 6/9 sash windows, and molded cornerboards. Behind the house are several outbuildings, most of which appear to date to the early twentieth century. Among these are a combined smokehouse and well, a chicken house and a large gambrel-roofed barn. A small shed roof building is said to have been Dr. Montague’s office.
Calvin Wray Lawrence House, 8528 Ragan Road, Apex, Designated: 12/01/2008, Individually Listed, National Register The Callie Lawrence House is an excellent and little-altered example of a typical late-nineteenth century farmhouse. The two-story dwelling displays the triple-A roof that became the most popular roof form for farmhouses built around the turn of the century, and typical late-Victorian interior and exterior woodwork. The front porch, which spans the full façade, is supported by turned, bracketed posts. The gables are ornamented with double-arch vents. A one-story rear ell houses the dwelling’s kitchen and dining room, while the four rooms of the main block serve as parlor, living room, and bedrooms and a parlor. The interior retains unpainted pine sheathing as well as original decorative grain painted mantels and wainscot. The front yard is landscaped with hedges and a variety of trees including cedars, oaks, and a holly. Many of the shrubs and boxwoods are said to be original plantings by Callie Lawrence. Behind the house stands several outbuildings, among them a covered well, a storage shed, and an outhouse, which displays diamond-shaped ventilators.
Dr. John Pullen Hunter House, 311 South Academy Street, Cary, Designated: 10/30/2008, Cary National Register Historic District This charming brick bungalow is one of the best-preserved structures in Cary’s National Register Historic District. Dr. John Pullen Hunter, a practicing physician and the son of the Reverend Alsey Dalton Hunter (an early Baptist minister), had this one-and-a-half-story house constructed in 1925. The side-gable roof has three dormers on the front, with two shed dormers flanking the central gabled dormer. The long, horizontal front porch is enclosed on the south end and extends into a porte-cochere on the north end, supported by tapered wood posts on brick piers. The interior, too, is remarkably well-preserved; the windows, doors, hardwood floors, mantels, trim work, and the butler’s pantry all remain. Where adaptations were made to accommodate office functions, these changes were sympathetic to the existing features of the house. Dr. Hunter practiced medicine in Cary from 1920 to 1959. Hunter was also the president of the Cary Chamber of Commerce, served on the Cary Town Board and the Wake County Board of Education, and was a member of the Cary Masonic Lodge. Mr. John Mitchell of South Carolina currently owns the building.
Guess-White-Ogle House, 215 South Academy Street, Cary, Designated: 10/30/2008, Cary National Register Historic District Although known locally as the Guess House, this prominent South Academy Street dwelling had many owners throughout the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Railroad “roadmaster” Captain Harrison P. Guess and his wife, Aurelia, purchased the land on which the house sits from Frank Page in 1880 and built the original house, which I said to have been a two-story I-house, a common vernacular house type throughout Wake County, embellished with modest Greek Revival detailing. The house also had a rear ell. John White, a local Baptist minister, bought the house from the Guess’ in 1896 and substantially remodeled and expanded it. He transformed the house into a Queen Anne structure by adding a three-story tower to the façade, a front bay window, and much decorative woodwork, all of which are quintessential elements of the Queen Anne style. Local tradition states that Reverend White added the tower so that he could look out over the town while he wrote his sermons. Mr. and Mrs. N.G. Yarborough, parents of Dr. Frank W. Yarborough, are said to have owned the property for many years. The property has had several owners in the late twentieth century. Carroll and Sheila Ogle bought the property in 1997 and restored it.
Samuel Bartley Holleman House, 3424 Avent Ferry Road, New Hill vicinity, Designated: 4/07/2008, Individually Listed, National Register The Holleman House is a substantial, two-and-a-half-story, Queen Anne-Colonial Revival transition house. Its outbuildings include a wellhouse, pumphouse, engine house, smokehouse, and wash house, all built in 1913. The Holleman House exhibits excellent architectural integrity, retaining all of its original materials and detailing on the exterior and a great portion of notable interior finishes--particularly the beaded board walls and ceilings and several mantel designs. Samuel Bartley Holleman (b.1861-d.1927) built this house in 1913 at Enno, a crossroads community in Holly Springs Township that had been known in the mid-nineteenth-century as Collins Crossroads. Holleman was a prominent Enno businessman, where he ran a store, cotton gin, sawmill, and planer at the turn of the twentieth century. The house has passed through the Holleman, Bright, and Ragan families, and the current owner bought the house in 1991.
Midway Plantation, 1900 Amethyst Ridge Road, Knightdale vicinity, Designated: 9/4/2007 Midway Plantation was constructed in 1848 by Charles Lewis Hinton as wedding gift to his son, Major David Hinton, and his wife, Mary Bodie Carr. The house was named Midway for its location halfway between the two other surviving Hinton family Plantations, Beaver Dam and The Oaks.
The handsome Greek Revival main house stands two stories tall and has many fine Greek Revival decorative features throughout, including Doric fluted porch columns, a second story balustrade, interior decorative cornices, paneled wainscot, paneled doors, and decorative window trim. The house retains much of its original material, including its wood siding and six-over-six wood sash windows. The house was originally located on U.S. Highway 64 in Knightdale, but had to be moved in 2005 to be saved from commercial development. In now sits on a secluded ten acres near Knightdale.
Beaver Dam Plantation, 7081 Forestville Road, Knightdale, Designated: 9/4/2007 Once the seat of a 4000-acre plantation during the first half of the nineteenth century, Beaver Dam survives as a rare example of the successful plantations throughout eastern Wake County and , Indeed, piedmont North Carolina. Built c.1810, Beaver Dam stands as an unspoiled example of transitional Georgian-Federal architecture. It was also one of nine prominent Hinton-family plantation houses in Wake County, only three of which survive.
William Hinton (1767-1836) and his wife, Candace Rosser Hinton, built Beaver Dam around 1810 on land William acquired from his sister and his father, Major John Hinton. Exemplifying the substantial, neatly finished but conservative houses built for many North Carolina planters around 1800, the two-story frame dwelling has a hall-and-parlor floor plan with original shed rooms to the rear. Characteristic of the best workmanship of the era, the heavy timber-frame is covered with molded weatherboard siding. The house retains its original nine-over-nine wooden sash windows. The interior finishes continue the excellent traditional craftsmanship with paneled doors, hand-molded wainscot, and fine decorative fireplace mantels.
The building stands commandingly on two open acres at the corner of Smithfield and Forestville Roads. To its east stands the original, small, timber-frame smokehouse.
Sunnyside, 210 S. Selma Road, Wendell, Designated: 08/13/2007 Wendell businessman R. B. Whitley built a large and fashionable brick Craftsman-style house on Selma Road in 1918. Undoubtedly one of the most stylish houses in town in the 1910s and 1920s, the house displays such thoroughly modern Craftsman features as front and side porte cocheres to shelter the family automobiles. A broad porch shelters the front entrance, which is topped by an arched window and flanked by sidelights. According to family tradition, the recently completed house served as a hospital during an influenza epidemic in 1918. Family members remember that R.B. Whitley believed brick buildings were more durable and, in the long run, more economical than frame buildings--a belief reflected not only in his own home but also in the other buildings on this property, including a wash house, smokehouse, a garage, and four gate pillars at the front of the drive. Originally from Johnston County, R. B. Whitley moved to the budding town of Wendell in 1906. A prominent merchant and civic leader, Whitley was instrumental in establishing the town's tobacco market. He founded the Bank of Wendell in 1907 and served as its president from its establishment until his death in 1944.
N.G. House Store, 221 N. First Avenue, Knightdale, Designated: 6/4/2007 The N.G. House Store was constructed c. 1907-1912. It is a simply detailed two-story brick commercial building. The original four-over-four wooden sash windows remain, as well as the original interior room configurations and finishes. The storefront at street level was replaced in the 1960s by Robert Wysocki, accomplished stained glass artist, founder of Stained Glass Associates, and owner of the building at the time. The current owners of Stained Glass Associates now own the building and continue to run their nationally-renowned business out of this space.
Nymphas Green House and his father, Thomas House, built the structure between 1907 and 1912. Nymphas House and his son, Lundy, ran their grocery and general store, "N.G. House and Son," out of this building.
Like many small but growing communities in the early twentieth century, Knightdale's progress was tied to the railroad. The N.G. House Store's location--directly across the tracks from the depot--made it one of the most prominent places in the town from the 1910s to the 1950s. The N.G. House store was a central point not only for purchasing staple goods, but also for social and civic gatherings.
In 1940, the town of Knightdale was struck by a massive fire that decimated the downtown area. The N.G. House Store is the only building to have survived the fire and represents that first period of Knightdale's downtown development from the early twentieth century.
Apex Dome Building, 105 W. Williams Street, Apex, Designated: 12/5/2006 The Apex Dome was built c.1960 by Raleigh architect Dale Blosser and owner Louis C. Smith of Apex. It is a local adaptation of a geodesic dome. Geodesic domes were invented by Buckminster Fuller and were developed in Raleigh, NC by his company, Synergetics, Inc. and in collaboration with faculty and alumni of the Design Scholl at North Carolina State College (now North Carolina State University). The Apex Dome is an example of Buckminster Fuller’s “world architecture,” his global vision of the installation of mass-produced, patented geodesic domes. The architect of the Apex Dome, Dale A. Blosser (1927-1982), earned a B.S. in Architecture from the School of Design at North Carolina State College in 1956. Blosser was a student at State during a time when the School of Design was one of the nation’s foremost progressive design schools pioneering modernist architecture and when Buckminster Fuller was leading annual teaching seminars there. Blosser later worked as a manager and architect on nationally-renowned projects with Synergetics, Inc. Blosser designed the Apex Dome around the geodesic dome roof. The roof is a “Peasedome,” which is a specific type of geodesic dome constructed from plywood kit from the Pease Woodworking Company of Hamilton, Ohio, a well-known supplier of Buckminster Fuller-licensed geodesic domes. Blosser also designed the porch that encircles the building, adding a quintessentially rural North Carolina feature to the structure. The tin shingles that cover the roof today were installed approximately one year after the Dome’s completion, as the plywood roof quickly developed leaks. These tin shingles also add a local building tradition to this unusual structure. The Apex Dome is the only known Peasedome in Wake County, and possibly in North Carolina. The Apex Dome is significant for its representation of Buckminster Fuller’s vision of “world architecture” and its association with the innovative design community at North Carolina State University. The Apex Dome also signifies Apex’s shift in the mid-20th century from a railroad-oriented community to an automobile and highway-oriented community.
M.C. Todd House, 3851 Wendell Boulevard, Wendell, Designated: 10/9/2006 The M.C. Todd House is particularly noteworthy Craftsman-style bungalow. It has unusual oriental detailing on the porch posts and railings. It has a multi-planed, low pitched rood with broad eaves and exposed rafter ends. It has multiple Craftsman-style windows and a large, glazed front door. The M.C. Todd House is an excellent example of an “Aeroplane Bungalow,” a nickname given to this house type by its California designers which stems from the single room on the second story. There are only a few other examples of Aeroplane Bungalows in North Carolina.
Fuquay Springs Teacherage, 602 E. Academy Street, Fuquay Varina, Designated: 8/7/2006, Individually Listed, National Register The Fuquay Springs Teacherage is a two-story Craftsman style building constructed as a private residence in 1925 in Fuquay Varina. In 1947, the Wake County Board of Education bought it and operated it as a teacherage until 1968. It is one of only six known teacherages in Wake County, and it exemplifies housing provided for teachers as an integral part of school consolidation in the early to mid-20th century.
Trinity House, 3700 Trenton Rd., Raleigh vicinity, Designated: 12/7/2005 The Trinity House is the oldest brick residence in Wake County. Although expanded in the late nineteenth century and extensively remodeled in the twentieth, the house retains it steeply pitched gable roof and traditional form with interior chimneys. Associated with the beginnings of Methodism in Wake County, the Trinity house is the County’s first designated archaeological landmark. It serves as a private residence.
Wayland E. Poole House, 4800 Auburn-Knightdale Road, Garner Vicinity, Designated: 10/18/2005, Individually Listed, National Register This remarkably intact Queen Anne cross-gabled frame dwelling built in 1911 by Wayland E. Poole has a wraparound porch with turned posts, corbelled brick chimneys, decorative screen doors and diamond shaped vents. According to family tradition, Poole hand picked all the lumber for the house from his sawmill in Auburn. The building is currently used for commercial purposes.
Cannady-Brogden Farm, 15260 Brogden Road, Creedmoor Vicinity, Designated: 10/03/2005, Individually Listed, National Register Built in 1904 onto an earlier family dwelling, the Cannady-Brogden house is an archetypal example of the very popular triple-A-roofed I-house. Dependencies associated with the property are a corn crib, woodshed, washhouse, covered well, chicken coop, smokehouse, stackhouse, packhouse, machinery shed, mule barn, cow shed, and tobacco barn, all of frame construction. The farm continues in family ownership.
Dr. Nathan Blalock House, 6741 Rock Service Station Road, Willow Spring Vicinity, Designated: 10/03/2005, Individually Listed, National Register Built circa 1912 for Dr. Nathan Blalock on the site of an earlier family home, this Colonial Revival home features lavish details. In front of the house sits a miniature triple-A playhouse. Among the outbuildings are several tobacco barns and early twentieth-century tenant houses. The house is owned by and lived in by descendants of Dr. Blalock.
Henry and Bettie Knight Farm, 7045 Highway 64 East, Knightdale, Designated: 5/14/2005, Individually Listed, National Register The Henry and Bettie Knight Farm is significant as the home place of the people who worked to establish the Town of Knightdale. The farm complex includes a one-and-a-half story vernacular frame farm house, built c. 1890, with several additions constructed before 1920; a smokehouse; and dairy. The farm remains in private ownership.
Thompson House, 13029 Falls of Neuse Road, Wake Forest Vicinity, Designated: 5/13/2005, Individually Listed, National Register The antebellum Thompson House in New Light Township is more closely related architecturally to houses of the same period in nearby Wake Forest Township than to the generally modest dwellings in New Light. The house is unusually large and displays many common Greek Revival features. Relocated and restored by Applewhite Properties in 2005, the house continues in private residential use on its new site.
Henry Bryan Store, 107 W. Main Street, Garner, Designated: 03/02/2005, Garner National Register Historic District Built around 1900, it is reportedly the first brick commercial building in Garner. The triple store contained Bryan’s grocery, furniture, dry goods stores in the early twentieth century. Restored by Magdy and Mones Saad in 2005 for mixed commercial/residential use, the Bryan Store is the most prominent building in the line of commercial buildings that face the railroad and is a visual anchor on Main Street.
Dr. Lawrence Branch Young House, 119 W. Young Street, Rolesville, Designated: 3/07/2005, Individually Listed, National Register Built in 1903 by Rolesville physician Dr. Lawrence Branch Young, this two story house blends Victorian and Classical details, such as a steep pyramidal roof with front and side cross gables, tall corbelled brick chimneys, and a wraparound porch with slim Ionic columns and a turned balustrade. The Young House is the only example of the Queen Anne / Colonial Revival-style in Rolesville. Dr. Lawrence Young served the Rolesville community during the late-nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The Dr. Lawrence Branch Young House is the first local historic landmark designated by the Rolesville Board of Commissioners.
Hartsfield-Perry Farm, 8401 Mitchell Mill Road, Rolesville Vicinity, Designated: 10/04/2004, Individually Listed, National Register An outstanding antebellum farm complex, the Hartsfield-Perry Farm commands a marvelous rural setting. Surrounded by mature oak trees, the two story L-shaped house at the center of the complex was built in 1835, when Dr. Wesley Hartsfield is known to have been living there with his father, Andrew Hartsfield (1765-1861), a prominent Methodist minister. The house and property retain a high degree of integrity of location, setting, design, materials, workmanship, feeling, and association.
Jesse Penny House and Outbuildings, 5611 Penny Road, Raleigh Vicinity, Designated: 10/20/2003, Individually Listed, National Register The Jesse Penny House and Outbuildings are a rare, unique, intact example of a rural Wake County farm complex. The house displays the triple-A roof so popular at the time and features a prominent wrap-around verandah embellished with turned and sawn ornamentation. Notable is the excellent condition and arrangement of the outbuildings, which include barns, a chicken house, a pump house, and a cottage. An original picket fence encloses the dwelling and remains one of the earliest such structures in the county. The house continues to serve as a private residence.
Sellars Building, 108-110 N. Salem Street, Apex, Designated: 8/05/2003, Individually Listed, National Register The Sellars Building, built in 1908, was the first brick commercial building in downtown Apex and influenced the architecture of every significant structure that followed during the almost twenty years economic prosperity for the community. The understated façade is accented with stone granite lintels, a second story dentil stringcourse, and two restored storefronts. The building was restored inside and out by the current owners, Michael and Sandra Trull.
Thompson-Utley-Fletcher-Tunstall House, 406 N. Main Street, Apex, Designated: 8/05/2003, Apex National Register Historic District The Thompson-Utley-Fletcher-Tunstall House was built in 1872 and was home to four of Apex’s most influential community figures. A fine example of a late nineteenth-century “I” house with Victorian details, the house and its outbuildings represent a rare surviving core of an in-town farm. The building is owned by the Town of Apex.
Wakefield Farm (Barn), 6324 Wakefalls Road, Wake Forest Vicinity, Designated: 4/01/2002, Individually Listed, National Register Wakefield Barn is all that remains of a 2,200 acre dairy farm and is one of the most architecturally unique farm buildings in Wake County. Prominent Durham resident John Sprunt Hill began construction of his dairy complex in 1934. The farm became a showplace for the newest dairy and farming technologies and produced prize-winning Guernsey dairy cows, as well as hay, corn, wheat and draft horses. Few other barns in Wake County share Wakefield’s creative details, including its X-batten door and window shutters, graceful bell-shaped roof, and terra-cotta tiled silos. The structure is now a privately operated horse barn.
Dr. Wiley S.Cozart House, 333 S. Main Street, Fuquay-Varina, Designated 12/18/2001, Fuquay Springs National Register Historic District Dr. Wiley S. Cozart, who owned the adjacent Ben-Wiley Hotel constructed this stately residence in 1927. The house combines strong elements of the Colonial Revival style with more subtle elements of the Arts and Crafts style. The property includes a well-preserved frame gazebo with a dry-laid stone fireplace that was constructed at the same time as the house. The house is also important for its association with Dr. Cozart, a local doctor, businessman, school board chairman, and mayor of Fuquay Springs. The house currently functions as the Fuquay Springs Inn, a popular B & B.
Maynard-Pearson House, Olive Chapel Road, Apex Vicinity, Designated: 5/01/2001 The Maynard-Pearson House is an excellent example of an “I” House Style, a popular rural style in late nineteenth and early twentieth-century Wake County. Built in 1872 it was also home to two prominent area families, including John Phineous Pearson, a member of the NC State Legislature. The property has been completely rehabilitated and is currently the headquarters of the Apex Historical Society.
Walter Aiken House, 313 S. Fuquay Avenue, Fuquay-Varina, Designated: 12/22/1998, Fuquay Springs National Register Historic District The Walter Aiken House is architecturally significant as a well-preserved and finely detailed Queen Anne / Colonial Revival style-residence. Built in the early twentieth century, the Aiken House is distinguished by its massive size and Queen Anne details such as the wrap-around porch with turret, ionic columns and pilasters and a projecting bay. The house is also associated with Walter Aiken, Fuquay Springs’ first mayor. The house is a private residence.
Banks House, 101 East Garner Road, Garner, Designated: 11/18/1997, National Register Historic District Dr. Braxton Banks purchased a one-story dwelling from George Montague in the 1890’s and soon greatly expanded it to serve as both his home and office. The house is still owned and occupied by family members, although the medical office has not been used as such since Dr. Banks died in 1903.
Oaky Grove Plantation, 5800 Turnipseed Road, Shotwell, Designated: 10/20/1997, Individually Listed, National Register Built by Thomas Price around 1818 Oaky Grove has been home to generations of the Price, Blake and Doub families, Originally a two-story hall-parlor-plan house, the dwelling was expanded and remodeled in the late nineteenth century. The 28-acre tract, all that survives of the once over 4500-acre plantation, also contains an early smokehouse, barn, and the family cemetery with stone tombs and a notable stone enclosure wall characteristic of antebellum plantation graveyards in North Carolina. Oaky Grove is still owned by the Doubs family.
Apex Town Hall (former), 235-237 N. Salem Street, Apex, Designated: 10/07/1997, Apex National Register Historic District The focal point of the civic history of Apex, the Town Hall was constructed in 1911-1912. Purpose built to serve numerous functions, the new Town Hall on North Salem Street housed a large vegetable and meat market, a small jail, and a storage room (which doubled as a “fire house”) on the first floor and a municipal offices and a theater on the second floor. Until recently the building served as offices for the Town’s Parks and Recreation Department. In 2008, an adaptive re-use project transformed this much-loved, but underutilized, Apex Historic Landmark into the Halle Cultural Arts Center, a community gathering place which now houses gallery, performance, and meeting spaces for residents and visitors.
Falls of the Neuse Manufacturing Company, 1500 River Mill Drive, Designated: 7/21/1997, Individually Listed, National Register Built in 1854-1855, this massive, three-story granite mill building at the falls of the Neuse River was the center of an impressive milling operation for over a century. During its chief period of significance in 1855-1896 in which it operated as a paper mill, it was described as the only significant producer of paper in eastern North Carolina and one of the largest in the state. The mill was restored in 1984 as condominiums.
Leslie-Alford-Mims House, 100 Avent Ferry Road, Holly Springs Vicinity, Designated: 10/01/1996, Individually Listed, National Register A prominent local example of the Greek Revival, the main block of the building was constructed by Archibald Leslie in the early 1840s and added to in the late nineteenth century and l940s by the Alford and Mims families. The property continues to serve as a private residence for the Mims family.
Edenwood, 7620 Old Stage Road, Williams Crossroads Vicinity, Designated: 8/19/1996, Individually Listed, National Register Edenwood has been a landmark on the Old Stage Road from Charleston to Petersburg since its construction by David Williams or his son Simeon in the second quarter of the nineteenth century. Owned by the Williams family until 1917, the house continues to serve as private residence.
Bennett Bunn Plantation, 1917 Old Bunn Road, Zebulon Vicinity, Designated: 8/19/1996, Individually Listed, National Register The Bennett Bunn Plantation is a remarkably intact collection of 1830’s outbuildings clustered around an 1833 main house on one-hundred and eighty acres of farmland. The property passed through several generations of the Bunn family until the late 1990s. The property continues to serve as a private residence.
Garner High School (former), 720 W. Garner Road, Garner, Designated: 1/16/1996, National Register Historic District The former Garner High School was built in the 1920s to serve students in the town and the surrounding rural areas. After a major renovation in the late 1990s, the building currently serves as a performing arts center for the town and as senior housing.
Ballentine-Spence House, 109 E. Spring Street, Fuquay-Varina, Designated: 11/04/1996, Fuquay Springs National Register Historic District This impressive Colonial Revival residence features a hipped cross-gabled roof, a large wrap around porch featuring tapered Doric columns. The house was built for James “Squire” Ballentine, who was active in town life in his various roles as magistrate, postmaster, merchant, and teacher. The current property owners have worked to restore the house to its historic appearance.
J. Beale Johnson House, 6321 Johnson Pond Road, Fuquay-Varina Vicinity, Designated: 6/05/1995, Individually Listed, National Register This grand Neo-Classical house, built around 1906, was designed by prominent Raleigh architect Charles Pearson. With its imposing Doric portico, the residence illustrates the Neoclassical influences of the early Colonial Revival style. The house was home to James Beale Johnson, who made substantial contributions to business, political and general community life in southern Wake County in the early part of the Twentieth-Century. The Johnson Home is a private residence.
Apex Union Depot, 220 N. Salem Street, Apex, Designated: 10/20/1994, Apex National Register Historic District The Apex Depot was designed in 1914 by the staff of the Seaboard Railway in Norfolk Virginia. It is the most sophisticated of Wake County’s few surviving local railroad stations. It currently serves as the office of the Chamber of Commerce.
Perry Farm, 6308 Riley Hill Road, Riley Hill, Designated: 12/19/1994, Individually Listed, National Register The Perry Farm with its 1820 farm house built by John and Nancy Perry, is an intact historic farm complex significant in local African-American social history. Like many former slaves after emancipation, Feggins Perry became a tenant farmer on the land where he was once bound. Owned by white members of the Perry family for most of the nineteenth century, in 1914 the property was acquired by Feggins Perry’s son, Guyon Perry, and it remains in that family to the present.
Page Walker Hotel, 119 Ambassador Loop, Cary, Designated: 12/08/1994, Individually Listed, National Register The Page Walker Hotel was built to accommodate railroad passengers on the North Carolina Railroad and Chatham Railroad. The hotel was constructed in 1868 by Allison Francis Page, founder of Cary, leader in the North Carolina lumber and rail industry and father of Walter Hines Page, U.S. ambassador to Great Britain during the Wilson administration. It currently serves as an arts and cultural center for the Town of Cary.
Ben Wiley Hotel, 331 S. Main Street, Fuquay-Varina, Designated: 12/05/1994, Individually Listed, National Register Built in 1925 by local physician Wiley Cozart, the Craftsman-style hotel entertained guests from around the state during holidays and special celebrations on Easter Monday and July Fourth. The landmark’s Craftsman influences can be seen in its overhanging and low pitched roof and exposed and shaped rafter tails. The structure is now apartments.
Jones-Johnson Farm, 7200 Sunset Lake Road, Fuquay-Varina Vicinity, Designated 5/02/1994, Jones-Johnson-Ballentine National Register Historic District The Jones-Johnson Farm contains a well-preserved collection of dwellings and outbuildings from the late eighteenth century to World War II. The farm features the 1790s log-built Ethelred Jones House, the grand Greek-Revival-turned-Neo-Classical William Wesley Johnson House, and a full compliment of agricultural outbuildings spanning three centuries of farming including an early twentieth-century century Standard Homes Plans Office. The farm is privately owned.
Lane-Bennett House, 7408 Ebenezer Church Road, Raleigh, Designated: 5/01/1990, Individually Listed, National Register The Lane-Bennett House was built in two sections beginning in 1775 by Joseph Lane. In 1863, Joseph Z. & Eugenia Bennett, acquired the house which remained in the Bennett family for the next 100 years. The long-vacant house was moved from the Cary area to its current location in 1980. The house is currently a private residence.
NC State Commercial and Agricultural Building, 1025 Blue Ridge Road, Raleigh, Designated: 5/01/1990, Individually Listed, National Register These buildings are distinguished examples of Mediterranean Revival Architecture—rare to North Carolina—and are among the oldest extant exhibition halls standing in the state. Designed by the local firm of Atwood and Weeks the buildings were the first exhibition halls erected at this site where the fair has been held annually since 1928.
Yates Mill, 4620 Lake Wheeler Road, Raleigh, Designated: 5/01/1990, Individually Listed, National Register The earliest known Granville land grant associated with Samuel Pearson dates from 1761, and it is on this land that Yates Mill stands. Yates Mill is the last water-powered (grist) mill standing in Wake County, out of more than seventy (70) grist mills that once existed. The mill takes its name from Phares Yates who acquired the mill in 1863. The mill is fully restored and operable and is the centerpiece of the 174-acre Historic Yates Mill County Park.
Alpheus Jones House, 6512 Louisburg Road, Raleigh, Designated: 5/01/1990, Individually Listed, National Register Alpheus Jones built the house that bears his name in 1847 on 680 acres of land given him by his father, Seth Jones, in 1842. The house is a handsome, unpretentious, representative Greek Revival plantation house with consistent Greek Revival details. In the 1970s the house served as a restaurant, but is once again a private residence.
Capital Area Preservation,
P.O. Box 28072 Capitol Station
Raleigh, NC 27611-8072